Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dependents or Beggers/Brats

When I first arrived at Kuma station there were very few dependents.  There was not much if any,  on post housing for them.  I was not married so I really dont know all the details.  This somewhat conjure on my part.  Before on post housing was opened up many of the NCOs and such had to live in barracks.  So they had a good Idea of how we lived.  This all changed when people started bringing their wifes and children over.  It did not take long for the American wifes to start bitching about every thing.  For example.  Our rooms did not have any shades or blinds or if they did no one used them.  The wifes said they could see naked people running around when they were going to the USO or EM club.  That was BS because everyone always wore at least a towel around them at all time.  We had muli person showers but people were more modest than you would think.  Believe me no one wanted to see another guys junk.  Then they want us to not be able to go the commissary for 3 days after payday.  Because we bought all the good stuff to take down town.  We had ration cards and really could not buy very much. .   I guess the biggest deal was when they wanted to work in the EM club.  We had Japanese ladys that waited tables and such.  They were pretty good at it.  I would guess they understood more than they let on but they never seem to let anything bother them.   When a few of the wifes tried working in the club  they all went crazy when some drunk went on a cussing spree or started telling what he was going to do to his girlfriend.  In this case the ability to understand English was not a asset.  Then of course people started bringing over the Children.  More BS.  I really resented the differences between the married and single soldiers.  If you were single you had to live in the barracks and put up with all that stuff.  Hell if you were married you just went home, kicked back, and the Army was just like a job.  Also if you were single you had a good chance you would be picked for some kind of BS duty.  It was just damn sure wrong.   It was not long before they had Begervile up to full speed.  I had very little inter action with the dependents or wifes.  I was a trick animal and lived in my own space.   In many ways we had very little in common with the rest of the post. We spent most of our time at operations with maybe 30 or 40 other guys. We worked rotating  shift so when many were sleeping, we were working and vise versa.  Shift or "trick" loyalty was immense.  We wore the badge of Trick Animal proudly because we were the reason that the post was there.   Dependents changed everything but I tried not to stay on post much so I really did not care.   I did have a couple of good friends who had brought their wifes over but they lived down town on the economy.   Maybe they will read this and if it is ok I will tell a few stories about them.  Clue Home of the Maytag Washers.  They were good people.   I think they tired to get in touch with me later on but I was on the road trying to get sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment